Can you drive a car if you have van insurance, and vice versa? Can you legally drive a moped if you have car insurance? We will discuss the steps you may need to take to drive other types of vehicles, including insurance considerations and licences.

What Licence Is Needed To Drive a Van?

Once you have passed your full UK driving test (category B), you are legally allowed to drive a car or van, with a trailer up to 3.5 tonnes.

Anything larger than this is considered as a ‘commercial van’, which requires you to apply for a category C licence.

Can I Drive a Car on My Van Insurance?

Generally speaking, if you have comprehensive cover this does not mean you will typically have third party cover that allows you to drive another vehicle - this is a common misconception.

However, we understand that there may be circumstances whereby you are borrowing a van for personal use, perhaps to move home. Usually, your cover would be based strictly on driving other cars as an extension of your policy and it is often not provided as standard. So our key piece of advice would be to check any policy carefully to see what cover you are provided.

Does Car Insurance Cover You To Hire A Van?

Often when you use a company to hire one of their vehicles, such as a van, the relevant insurance cover is included as part of the hire package, so there is no need to worry about the legality of you driving the hired vehicle in terms of your insurance.

Can I Ride A Moped on My Car Insurance?

  • If you have a full UK driving test (category B), then you can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates and without taking the moped test in some situations.
  • You must take compulsory basic training (CBT) if you want to ride anything larger than a 50cc moped.
  • According to the website, if you passed your driving test on or after 1st February 2001, you can get a full moped license if you pass your car driving test and then complete a CBT course or complete a CBT course and then pass your car driving test within two years.
  • Furthermore, if you passed your driving test before 1st February 2001, you can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates and you don’t need to take a CBT course or take the full moped test.