Second For Byrne At Knockhill As Irwin Crashes OutFri, 16/06/2017
The opening day of round four of the 2017 MCE British Superbike Championship at Knockhill saw mixed fortunes for the Be Wiser Ducati Racing Team and Paul Bird’s riders Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne and Glenn Irwin.
Defending champion and 11-times Knockhill race winner Byrne was second fastest in both Free Practice sessions today at the Fife track, with a best lap of 48.618s behind Luke Mossey in the second session, which was affected by drizzle. Prior to that, the Sittingbourne-based Londoner, who holds the lap record at Knockhill, had to settle for second fastest time on the factory-backed Be Wiser Panigale R in the opening session, just over a tenth of a second behind Jason O’Halloran.
Ulsterman Irwin, meanwhile, was looking confident on the Be Wiser Ducati Panigale R until a crash at the chicane late in the opening session saw it red-flagged. The 27 year old from Carrickfergus was treated at the circuit before being taken to Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy with a suspected dislocated shoulder and elbow and was undergoing scans and treatment this afternoon.
The third and final Free Practice session is scheduled to get underway at 10.20 tomorrow morning with Datatag Extreme Qualifying set to go at 14.02.
Free Practice 1
1. Jason O'Halloran (Honda Racing) 48.552s
2. Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) 48.607s
3. Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 48.648s
4. Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) 48.765s
5. Michael Laverty (McAMS Yamaha) 48.800s
6. James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) 48.807s
Free Practice 2
1. Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 48.221s
2. Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) 48.618s
3. Josh Brookes (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) 48.704s
4. Jason O'Halloran (Honda Racing) 48.734s
5. Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) 48.789s
6. Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing) 48.803s