13 thrifty fuel saving tips that every driver should knowFri, 20/10/2017
Who isn’t on a budget? With Christmas only a few months away, all money saving tips are greatly appreciated, but have you thought about how you could be saving money on your fuel consumption?
Business Report, reports:
1. Make sure that your vehicle is serviced regularly. Issues like worn out spark plugs and sticky brakes add to engine inefficiency, which leads to high fuel consumption.
2. Check your vehicle’s wheel alignment. Bad wheel alignment causes more friction, which takes more power to overcome and results in higher fuel consumption.
3. Check for under-inflated tyres, this can also increase resistance.
4. Close the windows of your vehicle when driving, open windows cause drag.
5. Lighten the weight of the vehicle by removing unnecessary items from it. If you do mostly urban driving consider driving with half a tank of fuel.
6. Reduce the drag by removing roof racks and other accessories when they are not in use.
7. Don't floor it but rather accelerate gently.
8. Do not speed.
9. Avoid stop starting. Maintain momentum as far as possible by looking and planning ahead, flowing traffic and timing your approaches to hills, robots, and crossings better.
9. Drive in the lowest speed of the highest gear that the road and traffic conditions allow without labouring the engine.
10 Use the air conditioning only when necessary.
11. Plan your trips more carefully and do several tasks on one round trip, compared to many short ones. This limits the mileage and the amount of time it takes to get your errands done, but also keeps your car's engine running at the optimal temperature.
12. Don't get stuck in traffic. Battling through traffic not only increases fuel consumption, but the wear and tear on your car's transmission and brakes.
13. Keep your finger on the pulse by listening to up to date traffic reports and monitoring the GPS for faster routes.
Many of these tips and tricks will not only help you to save petrol, but they’ll encourage safer driving habits too.