It doesn’t matter what sort of car you have if it is a greener than green smart car, a huge, black SUV or a neon pink hot hatch it needs to be insured. And, of course, it would be nice to save a few pennies as well as keeping your four-wheeled friend on the road legally.
So how can you shave a few quid off the price of your car insurance? Here are a few tips:
1. Clear out the garage – if you tell the insurer you keep the car in a garage you could well get a reduction.
2. Shop Around – some insurers take advantage if the fact that many drivers will just renew and not quibble. It only takes a few minutes on the internet and you could be talking tens of pounds difference. Also some insurers add in a sneaky renewal fee which you wouldn’t pay on a new policy.
3. Check the details – while some extras on your policy can be helpful like breakdown cover or legal protection there are probably others that have quietly crept on there which bump up the bottom line figure.
4. Increase the excess – very often this is a flexible figure and if you assume responsibility for a high excess figure your premium will be reduced.
5. Drop those flash extras – one of the easiest ways to add pounds to your insurance premium is to modify your car. So think twice before you fork out for new alloy wheels.