Although there are some quite legitimate clamping firms out there who do a good business keeping the roads safe for the rest of us, there is no doubt that there are an equal number, if not more, of companies that are unscrupulous and will do almost anything to get their hands on your money.
Here are some of the worst examples of what some dodgy clampers will do:
1. Where signs are small or are unclear, gangs of clampers gather to block in unsuspecting parkers and force them to pay more than £100 to be freed.
2. One lorry firm was charged more than £1200 when their delivery driver parked his lorry whilst waiting to make a delivery. This was a rate of about £100 per hour.
3. A hearse has been clamped while on its way to a funeral.
4. Clampers have demanded a certain type of payment “in lieu” from one poor woman.
5. A young female motorist was stranded overnight after she overstayed at a car park for 10 minutes and had to pay £300.
6. The worst of the worst, when clampers threatened to hold a woman’s small daughter hostage until they had their money.
From the 1st October 2012 it will be illegal to clamp a vehicle on private land in mainland UK; this will hopefully sort some of the wheat from the chaff but it is still worth making sure that where you park your car is legal and safe.