0333 3210 692 0800 954 9570

Tue, 09/22/2009 - 10:46 -- newsfeedimporter

Checking your home for fire hazards can reduce insurance costs

Tue, 22/09/2009
Share Article

Checking your home for fire hazards can reduce insurance costs

Many families and homes are destroyed each year due to horrific house fires, but by making regular checks you can make sure that your family and home are safe.

Start by getting a professional to inspect your home. They will check your gas plumbing, electrical wiring, heating and if you have any, air conditioning. They are the experts and will make sure that everything in your home is up to scratch and doesn’t pose a fire risk. If anything is faulty, they should give you a number of options on how to solve your problems and offer further advice on safety.

Many house fires can be caused by faulty wiring and un-maintained piping, although it seems that most of the time these fires are caused by human error.

It is suggested that you smoke outside or stand up when doing it. Sitting or lying down can sometimes lead to you accidently placing the cigarette on the sofa, table, or bed - eventually leading to fires if you forget about it.

Storing flammable liquids away from ignition sources will greatly reduce your chances of fire. Keep petrol or paint thinners in any form of container out of the house. If you have a pilot light for any appliance in the garage then do not keep flammable liquids in there, as it can still pose a huge risk.

A lot of house fires are caused by the occupants leaving candles unattended. It’s easy to forget that you didn’t blow the candle out before you went to bed, but left in the right area the candle can cause a lot of devastation very quickly.

By keeping tabs of potential fire hazards you could see your home and contents insurance prices fall, as insurers are more likely to offer you cheaper deals.

Get a Quote

News Categories

News Archive