House Fires: How To Prevent ThemFri, 20/11/2009
Many families and homes are destroyed each year due to horrific house fires, but by ensuring that you make regular and thorough checks, you can make sure that you, your family and your home are safe.
You should start by getting a professional to inspect your home. They will check your gas plumbing, electrical wiring, heating and, if you have any, air conditioning. They are the experts and will make sure that everything in your home is up to scratch and doesn’t pose a fire risk. If anything is faulty they should give you a number of options on how to get the issue fixed.
While many house fires can be caused by faulty wiring or un-maintained piping, a lot of the time they are the result of carelessness.
Leaving a lit cigarette on a flammable surface is often the cause of many house fires. It is suggested that you smoke outside rather than in you own home, but if you cannot leave the house then stand up when you light up. Sitting or lying down can sometimes lead to you accidently placing the cigarette on the sofa, table, or bed - which could lead to a fire if you forget about it.
Another common cause of fire is the incorrect storage of dangerous and flammable liquids. Simply by storing flammable liquids away from ignition sources will greatly reduce the chances of fire. Keep petrol or paint thinners in any form of container out of the house. If you have a pilot light for any appliance in the garage then do not keep flammable liquids in there, as it can still pose a huge risk.
A common feature in the modern home is a scented candle, with people often scattering them about the house in various locations. These can be a huge fire hazard if they are left unattended, especially if you have many throughout the house. Ensure that all candles are blown out if you leave the house and before you go to bed.
By keeping tabs of potential fire hazards you could see your home and contents insurance prices fall, as insurers are more likely to offer you cheaper deals.