As the fear of huge debts is suspected of putting some students off their university dream, a group of young people in Hampshire are benefiting from a new career scheme launched this year, the first of its kind in the insurance industry.
In October 2012, Andover-based insurance broker Be Wiser Insurance, through its new Wiser Academy’s Surestart Development Programme, has taken on 12 students with a further 12 to start in November 2012. All will enjoy a three year package that includes a basic annual salary of £18,000.
At the end of the three years, not only will they be debt-free in respect to tuition fees, they will have earned in excess of £54,000 and have obtained an Advanced Diploma Certificate in Insurance, which is a professional qualification equivalent to a degree and would typically take five years to complete.
Be Wiser Insurance’s chairman Mark Bower-Dyke said: “Undergraduate students will commonly leave university with debts of over £40,000 and naturally £9,000 a year tuition fees have put off many school leavers. Overall demand for university places is down and there is clearly a need for more career-based schemes. If British businesses want quality professionals they must take on the responsibility of offering our youngsters a more cost effective way of achieving their dreams.”
“Be Wiser Insurance has always had a strong commitment to training and development and we’re delighted to welcome the new starters that have gained a place in our Surestart Development Programme.”
“The scheme isn’t just about getting a qualification – it will give them the required knowledge and capabilities to succeed in the competitive business world while earning a salary. More importantly, they won’t have to deal with debts from university fees and student loans at the end of the three year period.”
Hannah Duck, a former sixth form student and one of the new starters, said: “The Surestart scheme appeals to me because I didn’t want to start my working life off with university debts. I wanted to do something related to finance and I’m pleased Be Wiser Insurance is giving me the opportunity to have a good career and get a qualification without going to university.”
The fast track scheme will provide them with other professional development throughout, including a minimum of 10 hours of tutorial per week and solid insurance experience. They will receive ongoing in-house management and leadership development thereafter.
Through comprehensive training, genuine responsibility and personal mentor support, the scheme gives them the chance to gain the competence and confidence to shape a career in the insurance industry while working within a successful broker.
University fees and debts cause much concern and discussion among parents and students alike. This post contains some comments from a popular forum on uni fees.
Within its five years of business, the FSA regulated company has been ranked 13th in The Sunday Times Virgin Fast Track 100 in 2011 and it also appears in the Top 100 UK Insurance Brokers.
For more information on Be Wiser’s Surestart Development Programme visit: Be Wiser Insurance Careers
Image Caption: Group on left (from back to front, left to right): Andrew Millard, James Phillips, Lara Hetherington, Matthieu Le Cornu, Natasha Hookings. Group on right (from back to front, left to right): Max Thompson, Matthew Holloway, Devina Patel, Hannah Duck, Kate Stott. Front (l-r): Be Wiser Insurance's lead trainer Hannah Johnson and chairman Mark Bower-Dyke
Notes to editors:
- Be Wiser Insurance is a fast growing success story during a time of economic difficulty
- Be Wiser Insurance is an independent insurance brokerage with four offices in Andover, Hampshire
- Be Wiser Insurance focuses mainly on personal lines insurance – private car, motorcycle, commercial vehicle and household insurance
- Be Wiser Insurance is FSA registered
- Be Wiser Insurance commenced trading in July 2007
- Be Wiser Insurance currently has over 100,000 plus clients
- Be Wiser Insurance works with over 30 mainly UK ‘household name’ insurance companies
- In December 2011, Be Wiser Insurance was placed 13th in The Sunday Times Virgin Fast Track 100 which champions the UK’s top performing private companies
- Be Wiser Insurance has been awarded Investors in People status
- Be Wiser Insurance has introduced several key features to all policy holders:
- - Free RAC breakdown cover for all motor clients (cars, vans, motorcycles)
- - Free Helmet & Leathers cover for all motorcycle clients
- - Free Identity Theft cover for all homeowners
- - Free , Gadget, Handbag and Wallet cover for all motor clients (cars, vans, motorcycles)
- For additional information on Be Wiser Insurance please visit: www.bewiser.co.uk
For all media enquiries please contact:
- Lucy Andrews
- Ten Alps PR
- DD:01329 225 950
- Mob:07901 007194