Joe Mercer OBE joins Be Wiser Insurance for a day at the races to celebrate its 4th birthdayThu, 23/06/2011
Famous ex jockey Joe Mercer OBE joined Be Wiser Insurance and 100 guests at Newbury Racecourse on Thursday 9 June to help mark the company’s 4th birthday celebrations.
The retired jockey, who rode a total of 2,810 winners in Britain during his time in the saddle, was able to share his significant horseracing experiences with the Be Wiser Insurance team and other key suppliers in a private box during a perfect day of summer racing. An impressive total of £1,600 was raised for two charities specially selected by Joe Mercer – Air Ambulance and The Injured Jockeys Association.
For most of the guests, the day featured visits to the paddock to inspect the runners and riders, while judging the best turned out horse was left to the expert eye of special guest Joe Mercer. After each of the Be Wiser sponsored races, Joe was on hand to assist with the presentation of the trophies to the successful owners, trainers and jockeys at the prize winning ceremonies.
The Andover based personal line insurance brokerage sponsored three races on the day - Be Wiser Insurance handicap stakes (Class 5), Insure Wiser handicap stakes (Class 5) and Be Wiser Insurance handicap stakes (Class 5, for gentleman amateur riders) - one of which produced the rarity of a dead heat, with the stewards unable to separate the two horses in the photo finish.
Mark Bower-Dyke, chairman of Be Wiser Insurance, said: “Hosting a day at Newbury Racecourse was a fantastic opportunity to entertain guests in superb settings as well as celebrating Be Wiser’s 4th year. Having a horseracing legend like Joe Mercer OBE with us really was the icing on the cake.
‘It has always been important to Be Wiser to thank the insurance companies and other key suppliers it works with, especially after such a successful year, and this is one of our ways of doing that. Having moved into our third office back in February and recruited an additional 60 staff since, things continue to go from strength to strength for Be Wiser Insurance.”
Notes to editors:
- Be Wiser Insurance is an independent insurance brokerage with three sites in Andover, Hampshire
- Be Wiser Insurance currently has 76,000 plus clients
- Be Wiser Insurance focuses mainly on personal lines insurance – private car, motorcycle, commercial vehicle and household insurance
- Be Wiser Insurance has introduced several key features to all policy holders:
- Be Wiser Insurance commenced trading in July 2007
- Be Wiser Insurance is FSA registered
- Be Wiser Insurance works with over 30 mainly UK ‘household name’ insurance companies
- Be Wiser Insurance is a fast growing success story during a time of economic difficulty
- For additional information on Be Wiser Insurance please visit: ww2.bewiser.co.uk
- Free RAC breakdown cover for all motor clients (cars, vans, motorcycles)
- Free Helmet & Leathers cover for all motorcycle clients
- Free Identity Theft cover for all homeowners
For all press enquiries please contact: