A recent survey revealed that a trip to the shops at Christmas is the car journey that motorists dread the most. Conducted by Be Wiser Insurance the findings showed that nearly 45% of drivers hated the thought of battling their way to the shopping centre by car, while 24% cited the return journey to work in the New Year as the worst.
Rounding off the top three was the annual pilgrimage to the relatives with 20% putting it at the top of their list of terrible trips while driving in bad weather conditions was also loathed.
“With over 13 million cars taking to the roads over the festive period it can be a very stressful time for drivers,” said Be Wiser’s Chairman Mark Bower-Dyke. “Many motorists are making long journeys for the first time on roads that they may not be familiar with and coupled with bad driving conditions it can be tricky.
We would always advise motorists to be prepared and plan ahead for safe journeys, check the car over, make sure routes are planned and ensure that adequate breakdown cover is in place in case of emergencies.”
Ahead of the festive period Be Wiser Insurance has launched its Wise Guide to Safe Festive Travels and recommends that travellers:
- Plan journeys in advance
- Check the weather forecast before leaving
- Check the car’s oil and screenwash before setting off
- Check tyre pressure and tread
- Check the car’s lights
- Don’t drink and drive
- Always wear a seat belt
- Keep an eye on their speed
- Don’t use your mobile while driving
- If drivers break down get out of the car and move to a safe area
- Secure the car when you park it and don’t leave items on display