Nearly two-thirds (60%) of British motorists intend to holiday by car this year, according to a recent poll conducted by Be Wiser Insurance.
Over half of these (35% of the total) intend to take their road-trip within the UK
Mark Bower-Dyke, Chairman of Be Wiser Insurance, comments:
"Despite the increased costs of motoring many still want to get out and enjoy the great British roads – after all, driving should be fun! Preparing well is the best way to make sure the trip is enjoyable. Having alternative routes in mind and quality breakdown cover can offer peace of mind should something unfortunate happen."
All Be Wiser car insurance policies come with free UK RAC cover.
One quarter of those polled (26%) are taking a road-trip abroad, often with the intention of touring several parts of Europe.
Mark Bower-Dyke comments:
"Driving abroad can be a great experience and a perfect way to see the "real" part of any country. There are a few things to keep in mind however, such as: making sure your insurance policy covers you for driving abroad (and that your policy documents have details of the cover in the "foreign" language applicable to the country you are visiting); checking to see what compulsory measures apply to the country you are visiting (such as high visibility jackets being available in your car for all vehicle occupants); making sure that you know local speed limits on motorways and general roads (many European countries have "on the spot fines" payable in cash only, and these fines could put a big dent into your holiday spending money and are best avoided).
Be Wiser Insurance offer a "Road Trip Checklist" for anyone planning a road trip this year:
• Make sure you've got adequate breakdown cover (for both the UK and overseas cover if you are travelling abroad), and know how to contact them.
• Pack extra water and food in case you have a breakdown.
• Plan alternative routes to avoid stress should your planned route become clogged.
• Check your insurance covers your entire trip if driving abroad and check the specific requirements of each country that you are visiting.
• Make sure your car's tyres, water and oil are all in top condition before setting out.
Mark Bower-Dyke concludes:
"Being well prepared for any road trip can mean the difference between an enjoyable drive through beautiful countryside and a stressful slog in the middle of nowhere!"