Be Wiser Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Service Registration Number 465471 and we are also registered with the Information Commissioner, registration number Z9896064.
How To Contact Us
Controller and contact details
If you need to contact us in connection with the use or processing of your personal data, then you can do so using our contact details as set out below.
Post: Be Wiser Insurance Services Limited, Barrett House, Savoy Close, Andover, Hants, SP10 2HZ
What Information We Hold About You And Where We Obtain This From
The personal data that we collect about you may, but not limited to, include the following information:
- Personal data you provide to us in person, via our website or by telephone
- Personal data you provide when you enquire about insurance, or when you purchase a policy, through us, including information about what and/or who you want to insure, such as vehicle details, business activities, your home or travel details
- General information about you, such as your name, address, contact details and date of birth
- Personal data you provide if you subscribe to any of our mailing or newsletter services
- Your claims and credit history
- Financial details, such as your bank account
- Criminal convictions
- Information about your use of our website such as your IP address, which is a unique number identifying your computer, including personal data gathered using cookies
By asking us to arrange a contract of insurance for you where this involves passing information to us relating to children, you confirm to us that, in doing so you are the responsible guardian of the child.
We also collect information from publically available sources and third party databases made available to the insurance industry for the purposes of reducing fraud and financial crime as well as any other third party databases, (such as but not limited to Credit Reference agencies, the Claims and Underwriting Exchange), where your personal data may be held, provided such third parties have lawful bases on which to share such personal data with us.
How We Use Your Personal Data And The Lawful Basis For Doing So
Where we are relying on a basis other than consent
We may rely on one or more of the following legal bases when processing your personal data for the following purposes:
Purposes for which we process your personal data
The basis on which we can do this (this is what the law allows)
In order to perform our contractual obligations to you. This would include our fulfilling your requests for insurance services (including obtaining insurance for you, fulfilling requests for mid-term adjustments and obtaining renewals)
The processing is necessary in connection with any contract that you may enter into with us
To administer your account, including financial transactions for insurance broking
The processing is necessary in connection with any contract that you may enter into with us
To assist in the prevention and reduction of fraud and other financial crime
The processing is necessary for us to comply with the law and our legal requirements
In the interests of security and to improve our service, telephone calls you make to us may be monitored and/or recorded
The processing is necessary to pursue our legitimate interest in the management and operation of our business
To let you know about similar products and services that may be of interest to you
The processing is necessary to pursue our legitimate interest in operating our business.
To link and combine our information and systems through the use of artificial intelligence and automated decision-making processes to help us to improve our service to you.
The processing is necessary to pursue our legitimate interest in operating our business.
|For Premium Optimisation and Analysis Research.||The processing is necessary to pursue our legitimate interest in operating our business.|
Special categories of data and criminal convictions
We may also need to collect special categories of data from you, such as information about health, in order to perform our contractual obligations to you. The lawful basis on which we can do this is that the processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest relating to insurance. We may also collect information on criminal convictions which we may share with third parties. The lawful basis on which we can do this is that the processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest relating to insurance.
In addition to the specific disclosures of personal data detailed above, we may also disclose your personal data, where such disclosure is necessary, for compliance with a legal obligation we have to comply with, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another individual.
Who We Pass Your Personal Data To
We may need to pass your personal data to other companies which may include:
- Other companies or brands within our group of companies, for example if we are unable to provide a suitable insurance policy on request or at renewal we will check if any of our associated group companies can provide you with suitable cover
- The Insurers, intermediaries and third party service providers that we use for the purpose of arranging and administering your insurance policy. This may also include risk management assessors, uninsured loss recovery agencies, premium finance providers and other third parties involved (directly or indirectly) in the administration of your insurance and its associated benefits
- Firms that provide telematics services and supply the device. (Please see Telematics Section for more information around how your data is used if you have a Telematics policy with Be Wiser.)
- Debt Collection services or agencies appointed for the recovery of a debt, including assignment of rights under the contract you have entered into. These agencies may run credit checks, use tracking systems and legal services in order to retrieve monies owed to us, which could result in a County Court Judgment CCJ registered against you if the debt is not paid.
- Firms that provide automated artificial intelligence response systems in order to carry out call direction, call analysis and live chat services.
- Organisations that have a specific role laid out in law, such as statutory bodies, regulatory authorities and other authorised bodies
- Other organisations where we have a duty to or are permitted to disclose your personal information by law, for example if we received a valid request from the police or other third party organisation in the interest of preventing and detecting crime
- Fraud prevention agencies and operators of registers available to the insurance industry to check information and prevent fraud
- Credit reference agencies to check your credit history. This check will be recorded on your credit reference file without affecting your ability to apply for credit or other financial products
- Another company, if our business or part of it is bought or taken over by that company to make sure your insurance policy can continue to be serviced or as part of preliminary discussions with that company about a possible sale or take over
- Carefully selected partners (restricted to other Financial Services companies and Motoring Organisations) to let you know about similar and related products and services that may be of interest to you
- Search engines, such as: Google and Bing for online advertising purposes. Data is securely stored and processed by the search engines and once data has been uploaded, the data files are promptly deleted.
- Social media platforms, such as: Facebook for online advertising purposes. Data is securely stored and processed by these platforms and once data has been uploaded, the data files are promptly deleted.
The information you share with us may be transferred by us or any of the types of firms or organisations we have noted above, to other countries in order for processing to take place, including locations outside of the UK and the European Union. We will only do so if there are adequate levels of protection in place as required by applicable data protection laws.
Where we share your personal data with any third party, we will ensure this processing is protected by appropriate safeguards including a suitable data security and processing agreement with that third party.
Telematics Data (If you have a policy which requires a Telematics Device):
The data collected by the device is transmitted via a Mobile Phone Network in a secure format. By taking out this policy you are consenting to your data being collected by the device and to this data being used by Be Wiser in the ways outlined below. You must inform anyone that is insured to drive your car that it is fitted with a device that will collect and transmit data about how your car is driven and used. You must advise every driver, named on your certificate of motor insurance that each journey is recorded and will be visible to you, via your personal online dashboard, and to Be Wiser.
From the date the device is installed it will collect information including (but not limited to):
- Location of your car; including where kept overnight
- Time spent stationary
- Time of use
- Types of roads used
This information will be used to build up a profile of how, where and when your car is driven. The data collected by the device may be used by Be Wiser or your insurer for the following purposes:
- To review the information disclosed by you in relation to your policy or any claim, and to identify inconsistencies (Please note that knowingly providing inaccurate information could result in your claim being rejected and/or your policy being cancelled);
- Operational requirements, including the activation, disconnection, updating and testing of your device and any associated software (e.g. during installation or to perform maintenance checks);
- To provide data to your personal online dashboard;
- Processing your personal data for the purpose of providing you with your insurance policy and associated services;
- To contribute towards the calculation and charging of insurance premiums based upon driving behaviours and your car usage by compiling and generating scores;
- To assess your driving behaviours and your car usage together with your previous scores to help determine your future insurance premiums;
- To enable us to contact you regarding the administration of your insurance policy, provide you with reminders, other score related feedback, reward options where available, and/or hints and tips. To do this, we would contact you via email, telephone, text message, or post;
- To help us or the insurer handle any claim, and reduce fraud, by assisting with the identification, assessment or the investigation of claims made and to provide clarification as to the circumstances of the claim;
- To provide you with any additional optional telematics services that are or may become available, where you agree to these at purchase or during the period of insurance;
- To carry out research and analysis to help Be Wiser to understand driving behaviours which the insurer will use to develop the underwriting of this product and to assist with the development of similar products; and
- General research and analysis including mapping and refining techniques for analysing the data undertaken by Be Wiser, or our telematics services provider. In such circumstances, the data will be anonymised and will not identify you or your car.
If your insurance policy is cancelled, by you or by us, the device will be de-activated and no further data collected.
Be Wiser will only disclose data collected by the device to authorities such as the police or courts where we have your permission to do so (or another driver's permission, where the data relates to them), except where we are required to do so by law, when subject to a court order or where we suspect fraud or attempted fraud.
Accessing Our Website And Cookies
When you visit one of our websites we may collect information from you, such as your email address, IP address and other online identifiers. This helps us to track unique visits and monitor patterns of customer website traffic, such as who visits and why they visit. We use third parties to collate IP addresses to help us understand our Internet traffic data and data regarding your browser type and computer. We may also use web usage information to create statistical data regarding the use of our website. We may then use or disclose that statistical data to others for marketing and strategic development purposes, but no individuals will be identified in such statistical data.
Internet browsers normally accept cookies by default, although it's possible to set a browser to reject cookies. We'll ask your permission before using any cookie that's not essential to the email or the use of the website. However, refusing to accept cookies may restrict your use of our website and/or delay or affect the way in which our website operates. You can find more information on cookies when you visit our website.
The open nature of the internet is such that data may flow over networks without security measures, and may be accessed and used by people other than those for whom the data is intended. While this is outside of our control, we do take the protection of your information very seriously and aim to apply appropriate levels of security at all times.
Data from Google's systems is used for online advertising purposes. This is anonymised data on user location, search history, YouTube history and data from Google Partner sites provided by Google. Ads Personalisation is enabled by default in Google accounts, and you can opt-out at any time. You can also access and/or delete your data by visiting your Google account at My Activity.
Data provided to Facebook is used for online advertising purposes. This data includes email address and phone number provided to Facebook in encrypted form. Facebook will determine whether you are a registered account holder, which then allows us to display personalised advertisements to those on our email lists when they visit Facebook. You can access and amend your settings and advertisement preferences by visiting your Facebook account under Settings and Privacy.
Data provided to Bing is used for online advertising purposes. You can switch off personalised ad tracking on Bing by selecting ‘settings’ and ‘personalisation’ from the Bing Homepage.
We will only store your data for as long as is necessary to comply with the requirements of your insurance contract(s) and any legal obligations or lawful processing conditions that may exist as a result. You have a number of rights concerning the personal information we use, which you may ask us to observe. In some cases even when you make a request concerning your personal information, we may not be required, or be able to carry out your request as this may result in us not being able to fulfil our legal and regulatory obligations under the lawful processing conditions under which we hold your data or because there is a minimum statutory period of time for which we have to keep your information. If this is the case, we'll let you know our reasons.
You can ask us to:
- Provide a copy of your personal information
- Correct or delete unnecessary or inaccurate personal information
- Restrict or object to the use of your personal information at any time
- Object to any automated decision, including profiling which may have been used by insurers when underwriting your quotation.
- Provide your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to have your personal data transferred to another controller. This right only applies where our processing of your personal data is automated and the processing took place initially with your consent or for the performance of a contract with you
- Where we rely on your consent to use your personal information, you can withdraw that consent at any time. Where your consent is withdrawn, your previous consent will remain valid in respect of our use of your information prior to the date you withdrew it, or if any marketing material has been sent prior to you advising that you don’t want us to contact you again
How We Contact You About Other Products And Services
We may from time to time process your personal data to let you know about similar products and services that may be of interest to you. This is because we value your custom and we pride ourselves in offering professional and tailored advice which meets your specific insurance needs. This includes keeping you informed on the latest insurance and industry information and details of any offers or promotions relating to the insurance services we provide to you. Our lawful basis for processing your personal data in this way is as is necessary to pursue the legitimate interests of our business, unless we have otherwise obtained your consent to do so.
We may contact you by post, telephone or e-mail. You will be given the option to stop receiving any communications from us in this regard at any time however please note that this will not affect us contacting you about the servicing of products that you have specifically requested from us.
We may also contact you or, where you have given us consent to pass your data onto third parties, we may pass your details to other companies associated with us (including, without limitation, other product or service providers, claims management companies), in order to promote products or services which may be of interest to you. You may be contacted for the purpose of marketing goods or services, by telephone, email, letter or SMS text message.
Your information may also be disclosed and used for these purposes after the policy has lapsed. By providing us with your contact details, you consent to being contacted for these purposes. You may of course, at any time, update your consent. We will provide you with a means of opting –out and in addition you can contact us at any time to have your details removed from lists used by us for marketing purposes.
Cookies You May See
Here are some examples of cookies that you may see on your computer after visiting our site.
This list is not exhaustive, and does not include every single cookie we use.
|Cookie Name||Cookie Type||What It Does|
|__utma __utmb __utmc __utmz||Google Analytics||These track how our website performs. They tell us how many people visited our website, whether you've visited us before, what country you're located in and more - but none of it is personally identifiable. For more information on how to reject these cookies see http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacypolicy.html.|
|__atuvc xtc uid uvc uit psc di, dt bt loc||addthis.com (social sharing buttons)||We use these cookies to make sure our content, like news, is easy to share on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ - if you don’t share content with your friends, then you won’t be using these cookies.|
|SESS referrer has_js JSESSION||Be Wiser/Secure Be Wiser Cookies||These cookies allow you to complete an insurance quote. They also allow us to identify which advertising partner sent you to our site, so we can pay that partner appropriately and/or decide whether to continue to advertise with them.|
|dis b BX udc||Retargeting Cookies: Criteo, Yahoo.com, Overture||These cookies allow us to continue to offer you our products, e.g. car insurance, after you leave this site and visit other sites.|