Vans have insurance groups much like cars (see Be Wiser’s guide to Car Insurance Groups for more info), and every van is placed into an insurance group, and this will affect the price of your van insurance. There are 20 van insurance groups where group one is the cheapest to insure and group 20 is the highest. Choosing a van in a lower insurance group, for example five or under, will probably mean your van insurance costs a bit less.
As is the case with car insurance groups, a panel meet to determine a van’s insurance group on a regular basis. When it comes to determining which insurance group a van falls into, things such as the weight and size of the van along with other factors such as the cost of repairs, power, your van’s value and security features, are taken into consideration.
Remember there are other factors like the driver of the van and what the van will be used for that will affect the price of your insurance. For example, a younger driver of a van in insurance group one should expect to pay more for their van insurance, compared to another driver of the same van that has a larger no claims bonus to offer.
Vans in Van Insurance Groups One to Five
Citroen Berlingo (2008 onwards) – van insurance group 4
Fiat Doblo (2004 onwards) – van insurance group 4
Ford Transit (various models, 2006 onwards) – van insurance group 5
Peugeot 206 (2000 – 2006) – van insurance group 4
Vauxhall Astravan (2007 onwards) – van insurance group 3
Vauxhall Combo (2012 onwards) – van insurance group 4
Insurance companies re-calculate van insurance groups based on their experience of handling claims. Therefore, the above list is not exhaustive and can change daily, still we hope this has been useful.
Please Read Carefully
To help with your online quotation please have the following information to hand:
- The personal details of all drivers
- Full details of the vehicle to be insured
- Details of any claims or convictions for all drivers
- Details of any No Claims Bonus claimed
To speed up the process of your online quotation, please confirm that the conditions below are correct:
- All drivers are permanent residents of the United Kingdom and do not have more than one occupation.
- No more than four drivers to be covered.
- All drivers are legally entitled to drive in the UK and have a valid licence.
- None of the drivers have any medical conditions which must be legally disclosed to the DVLA.
- None of the drivers have any non-motoring convictions unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act e.g. theft, dishonesty, or fraud.
- None of the drivers have ever had insurance refused, cancelled, voided, or special terms imposed on any insurance policy.
- The vehicle has not been modified in any way from the manufacturer's standard specification and does not exceed 7 seats.
- The vehicle is not registered as a Q plate.
- You own the commercial vehicle and it is registered in your name. The commercial vehicle will be kept at your home address.
- The commercial vehicle will not carry hazardous materials or goods.
- As part of the quotation process you may be contacted by us as further discounts and benefits may apply.
It may be that you cannot comply with these criteria. If this is the case please call us free on 0800 954 9570 and we will be happy to assist you.