Wiser Blog Categories

Tue, 05/03/2019
Listing Image
Driving in the European Union after a no deal Brexit


In the event of a no-deal Brexit you will still be able to travel in the EU with valid insurance but you need to bear in mind the following information before you travel.

What permissions do you need when driving in the EU?

After 29th March 2019, if the UK leaves the EU without a withdrawal agreement, you will physically need to carry a Green Card with you when driving in the European Economic Area (EEA), this also includes Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland. 

If you have a UK driving licence, you may also need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

What is a Green Card?

An international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers in the UK. This card is proof that you have the minimum level of insurance cover required for travelling in the country you are visiting. It states that your insurer will honour any claims made against the insurance policy while you are driving within the EU.

How do you request a Green Card?

You will need to contact your insurance provider at least a month before you travel.  This will give them sufficient time to process and send it to you.

How much does a Green Card cost?

This depends on your insurer and could include an administrative fee.

What if you don’t have a Green Card?

If the UK leaves without a withdrawal agreement from the EU you will need to have a Green Card.  If you don’t;

  • You could be accused of driving without insurance and be given a fine
  • Your vehicle could be seized
  • Or you could be prosecuted

It is possible to buy insurance when you arrive in the country you are driving in, but this cover may not be widely available, and could be more expensive than a policy purchased in the UK.

What about Trailers?

All commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg must be registered with the DVLA before travelling in the EU.  You will also require a separate Green Card. Find out more about trailer registration.

Need more information?

The news around Brexit is frequently changing so we suggest that you check with your insurance provider before you travel, likewise, if you have any further questions about your insurance cover, please contact them.

You can also find out more information on the Association of British Insurers website.